1. When evacuating the area due to severe weather, remember to turn off the natural gas line at your home. Contact the City of Port Aransas Gas Department at (361) 749-4111 for more information.
2. If you smell, see or hear a natural gas leak, leave the area and tell others to do the same. Call 911 and the City of Port Aransas Gas Department at (361) 749-4111 to report it.
3. Never attempt to operate or turn any gas valves because this could make the situation worse. Only a trained gas technician should operate gas valves.
4. Make sure that debris for trash pickup is placed away from the gas meter. The operator picking up the debris could pull up the gas meter causing a hazardous condition.
5. If you have to excavate, always call 811 before you dig, know what utilities are buried underground.
Natural gas safety message brought to you by the City of Port Aransas Gas Department Hurricane Season Preparedness 2016.